Message from the Directors
Like all of you, we are keeping a close eye on the spread of the Coronavirus (Covid-19). While those at greatest risk from this disease appear to be the elderly and those with preexisting chronic illness, children are the lowest impacted demographic. We are planning ahead to provide the safest and healthiest environment for CIFC campers and staff this summer.
We have been keeping abreast of recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and the American Camp Association and we are in frequent contact with a representative from the San Juan County Health Department. We are also grateful for the support and advice of CIFC medical professional Glenda Schuh, who works year-round as an infectious disease nurse in Seattle and is in contact with some of the medical professionals that are on the front lines of the outbreak in Seattle. We will continue to review our healthcare protocols as the summer nears to ensure we are exercising best practices with regards to disease prevention.
All of us on staff remain passionate about giving our campers an exceptional experience on Canoe Island this summer. We believe it is crucial, perhaps now more than ever, to provide a peaceful, nurturing space where young people can enjoy the beautiful outdoors, forge new friendships, have novel experiences, and flourish in a tech-free environment. We pledge to be this space for your children this summer.
The health and safety of campers and staff is our highest priority and we will continue to monitor the situation throughout the coming months.
Please consult this page for updates on information pertaining to covid-19, CIFC’s preparations, and any changes in schedules due to the virus. Any currently registered French Camp families or event participants will receive emails from the directors with any news and updates.
Tuition Deadline Modification
In light of the uncertainty that all of us are facing, we have altered the tuition payment deadline for 2020. The French Camp tuition deadline has been changed from April 1st to May 1st.
If you have already put a check in the mail and it is currently en route to us, I will contact you when your check arrives at our PO box. We are happy to hold your check until May if that is your preference.
Refund Policy Change
CIFC is committed to being as flexible as possible with tuition refunds in 2020, given the unique circumstances and the many ways in which families have been impacted by the virus. Here is our modified refund policy for 2020:
- a full refund if a family cancels up to 14 days prior to the start of the session
- a refund of 50% of tuition if a family cancels between 13-1 days prior to the start of a session
- a full refund, regardless of when, if the cancelation is due to illness or exposure to the virus
- a full refund if camp is forced to cease operations due to the virus
We are also aware that some of our campers may need to attend school during the summer months due to school closures this spring, which may coincide with French Camp. In these instances, we will work with families to schedule your child to attend later a session of camp if possible.
Safety and Sanitation at Camp
The steps we will take on Canoe Island to minimize the spread of illness include:
• Vigilant screening upon arrival. Our medical professional assesses the general health of all arriving campers on the first day of camp. In 2020, this will include a temperature check and a brief interview about exposure to others who have been ill.
• “Bleach downs” or sanitization of all camp facilities are conducted at least twice daily. This involves disinfecting all door handles, sink and toilet handles, and other common area surfaces around camp.
• Campers and staff are taught and reminded to wash hands frequently with soap and water, cough/sneeze into their elbow, refrain from touching their face with their hands, and not to share towels, hats, pillows, or water bottles.
• The kitchen surfaces and dining room tables are sanitized after each meal.
• Counselors are trained to identify potential signs of illness including fatigue, coughing, etc and to direct campers to the infirmary.
• The medical professional will track campers and staff who exhibit potential illness and isolate campers with a fever.
• Parents will be contacted if their camper has a temperature of 100 degrees or more and/or needs to stay overnight in the infirmary.
There are steps you can take prior to sending your child to camp to help keep your child and others healthy. You can support our efforts in the following ways:
• Helping your camper learn to cough/sneeze into their elbow and refrain from touching their face with their hands.
• Ensuring your camper arrives at camp in good health, are well-rested, nourished, and hydrated.
• Advising us if your camper has recently been around others who are sick.
• Keeping campers who are exhibiting fever, flu-like symptoms, coughing, shortness of breath, or other respiratory symptoms at home until they are better.
• Keeping campers who have family members who are exhibiting these symptoms at home until they are better or have been tested for Coronavirus. We will assimilate late-arriving campers into the camp community with great care and enthusiasm.
We appreciate your patience, understanding, and support during this difficult time.