Spring 2021 Cancelation

We are sad to announce that CIFC will not be holding any of our normal spring programs. This includes the Spring Work Party, Islanders Weekend with Friends of the San Juans, Memorial Day Weekend Family Camp, Victoria Day Weekend Family Camp, the Yoga Benefit Weekend, Open House, and all school group programming.

We came to this decision after a great deal of discussion and contingency planning with our board of directors. The broad circumstances of the pandemic have changed very little from last year, and it feels risky and foolhardy to bring together a large group of people on Canoe Island. We are not confident we could ensure the health and safety of our guests and our staff. Furthermore, under mandates from the health department, we will not be allowed to operate until San Juan County is in Phase 4.

We are, however, planning to run French Camp this year. Some of you may wonder why we plan to run summer programs but not spring programs. There are many factors that informed this decision. Our campers are with us for multiple weeks and we have a much larger staff in the summer to help with enhanced cleaning and symptom monitoring. And perhaps the most important factor is that bringing campers to Canoe Island for French Camp is CIFC’s raison d’être. We will spend the spring months preparing for a safe and successful summer.

In the event that the rate of transmission falls dramatically this spring, Washington State and San Juan County would progress through the phases of re-opening. If that happens, we would be eager to reinstate programs. We would announce that opening via email and on our social media channels.

This has been a year of hard lessons and recalibrating expectations. We know that Canoe Island will one day in the near future welcome guests back to our dock. We miss all the families and friends we normally see in the springtime and we look forward to sharing island sunsets and raising a glass with you in happier times.